Frequently Asked Questions


What are trust lands?

Trust lands are parcels of land granted by Congress to Utah at the time of statehood. Trust lands were allocated specifically to generate revenue to support designated state institutions, including public schools, hospitals, teaching colleges, and universities. Learn more about trust lands.

Where does money from trust lands go?

Revenue generated from energy, mineral, real estate, and surface development on trust lands is deposited into beneficiary permanent endowments, which total $2.5 billion. Each beneficiary receives annual distributions from their individual endowment.

Are trust lands public lands?

No. Although trust lands support select public institutions, trust lands are not public lands. Trust lands were allocated specifically to generate revenue to support designated state institutions, including public schools, hospitals, teaching colleges, and universities. While approximately 67% of Utah is open for public access and recreation, SITLA manages about 6% of the state’s acreage for its beneficiaries, primarily public schools.

How many acres of trust lands are in Utah?

SITLA manages 3.4 million surface and subsurface acres, and an additional 1.1 million acres of mineral estate for its beneficiaries.


Oil and Gas

How do I nominate lands for the competitive sale?

If you would like to nominate any trust lands for the quarterly Competitive Offering, mail or email your request to Aly Gold, 675 East 500 South, Suite 500, Salt Lake City, UT 84102. Your expression should describe the lands by township-range-section-quarter/quarter.  SITLA will review your request and if the lands are available they will be placed on the next available sale. Refer to the 2019 Competitive Mineral Lease Offering Schedule for more details.

What do I need to do to get an approved Application for Permit to Drill (APD) on SITLA lands?

1) The original APD must be filed with the Division of Oil, Gas and Mining (DOGM) under its rules.  SITLA will review the DOGM APD and approve it prior to final approval by DOGM.

2) Applicant must file an archaeology report on the drillsite and any additional reports required by SITLA, including, but not limited to paleontology, wildlife, or mitigation plans.

3) DOGM will conduct a pre-site meeting to include DOGM, SITLA and any other interested parties.

Does my proposed well location require a paleontological survey?

Well locations within the orange-shaded area on the paleo sensitive map will require a survey.

How many copies do I need to submit when assigning interest in a lease?

SITLA requires one original executed assignment form that will be scanned for SITLA records and returned to assignee upon approval.

Refer to the fee schedule for filing fees required.  For other assignment questions contact Dorothy Taylor

Property Planning and Development

How does trust land become categorized as development land?

The Development Group oversees approximately 1% of the lands managed by the Trust. When the Development Group identifies a land parcel with development potential, the director designates it as development land after reaching consensus among all agency managers.

How do I purchase, develop, lease or secure an easement on trust lands?

Contact SITLA with your transaction proposal. Please be prepared to identify the location of the land, including township, range, section, or specific street address. The Development Group periodically distributes Requests for Development Proposals (link to page) for specific parcels.

What does the Development Group do?

The Development Group applies real estate development, land planning, land conservation, legal, and finance disciplines in its management of trust land properties designated for development. We create value by working with the private sector, governmental agencies, and other interested parties on the tracts of land we manage. We capture this value by taking these lands into well structured, creative transactions with the private sector, always with an eye toward quality planning, preserving open space, and meeting larger community needs.

How may planners, engineers, attorneys, etc. work with SITLA?

All SITLA procurement bids are solicited using SciQuest. Registration on SciQuest is free and allows you to request e-mail notifications of newly-released solicitations in your field. For information about using SciQuest got to

For services that are anticipated to cost less than $50,000, the agency maintains a list of pre-qualified professionals from whom the agency may procure services, without going through the competitive process. Service providers interested in becoming pre-qualified vendors should submit a Statement of Qualifications (SOQ). SOQs are solicited annually via Bidsync, but are accepted at any time by emailing